Monday, June 1

Mixed Media Monthly Challenge #13 | Celebrating Our First Birthday!!

Hi Everyone. I'm excited for this post today to announce that the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge Blog is celebrating our First Birthday today!! We have been hosting fun and creative mixed media challenges for one whole year and are going strong! I'm so proud that I have been a part of the team since the beginning and a huge shout out goes to Donna Bowman and Rachel Kleinman, the cofounders of the group. They have done a great job to keep the challenges interesting and making us successful in the popular mixed media challenge genre. Thanks Donna and Rachel for all your hard work!!!
Our theme this month is in honor of our Birthday!! Challenge #13 is: A Year of Choices!! You can chose any theme from the past year and create a project based on your favorite theme!!
 
To help us celebrate our Birthday, many of our past guest designers are joining us so there will be TONS of inspiration this month!!
Our sponsor this month is Maya Road. The design team incorporated Maya Road products into their creations in many clever ways!
 
 
I decided to create a fun, bright little canvas using MMMC #3 - Stencils and Pastes. I just bought the Tim Holtz Crazy Bird Stamp Set from Stamper's Anonymous and couldn't wait to play! I recently had a crafty weekend with my artsy fasrty girls and had a chance to play with lots of Copic markers thanks to the very creative Rachel. She helped me with the coloring and shading of one of the ADORABLE crazy birds.
 
 
I loved the end result and decided it needed to be on a canvas! I painted the canvas with Dina Wakley Media heavy body acrylic paint, then while the paint was still wet, I placed a stencil over the canvas and wiped through the stencil with a baby wipe in a few places. It's like a reverse stencil effect and it creates a great background. I then painted the back of a stamp a stamped randomly over the background. I cut apart a Maya Road flower and used the petals to create a sun ...
 
 
I also used some Maya Road thick twine for a bright pink bow for the birdies "hair" and cut a Maya Road ticket to ground the bird. The flecks of gold paint are from one of Dina's new colors called "Gilt" - a gorgeous gold that adds a great final touch!
We hope you will join us in celebrating our First Birthday using one of the challenges from the past year. We don't have a ton of rules, but check out the MMMC blog for the guidelines to join our challenges. We have added a few new rules in order to qualify for prizes and/or honorary mentions:
 
1. Please use our challenge graphic in your challenge post.
2. You must comment on at least THREE design team member blogs (we love a little love too!)
3. You may combine this challenge with up to 4 more challenges.
We cant wait to see what you create and thanks to all who have joined us and made this a successful challenge site! We wouldn't be here without YOU!!!

38 comments:

Dawn Louise said...

What a superb creation. brilliant all round and those pink seed beads at the bottom is inspired. hello from mmmc.

Kim Faucher said...

Definitely going to play along on this challenge! Love how very artsy-fartsy you, Rachel and Jenn got! Wicked fun!!

Phyllis said...

cute little birdie and very bright and cheery

Carol said...

Just popped over from MMMC...your canvas is so cute and I love the zingy colours.

Kathy Bradley said...

Your canvas is totally adorable! I love the bird and the sun is wonderful.

Unknown said...

Heheheheheh - ADORABLY Precious!! j

Pawsitively Creative said...

Wowzers! The coloring on the bird is awesome sauce and such vibrant colors! That stamp set is on my wish list now. TFS! ~Niki

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

How cute is that! Love the colors on your bird crazy and great background for that, thanks for inspiration.

Lynn K said...

Thanks for the comments! This crazy bird was fun to create!

aussie aNNie said...

aggh...my favourite TH crazy bird stamps....love it this is just awesome. Thanks for inspiration.xxx

Have joined as a new follower of this wowzer blog.x{aNNie My Personal Blog}

Lilian said...

This is so cute!!! Love the bird!
Lilian
http://theleafstudio.blogspot.com

Karen Petitt said...

I have my little TH birds waiting to be stamped and I have been completely overwhelmed after seeing other peeps projects and that has stopped me from playing with them. Thank you so much! Off to play with my TH stamps now Karen x

Paper Therapy Ponderings said...

I too have those birds waiting to be stamped - this is so cute and I love the colors. thanks so much for sharing

Barb Housner

Julia Aston said...

what a cute little canvas! love he bow in the birds 'hair'!!

Katherine said...

Look at that big eyed and cutie bird! I love the colors in this canvas and the beads!

Julie Gearinger said...

Oh, this is so cute!! Love the bird with the background on your canvas- tfs!

Nicole Robinson said...

What a fun canvas! So adorable!!

Cassandra aka Scrap Savvy said...

Such a fun canvas! Love the bird's expression that you chose. So appropo! :)

Deb said...

Love your canvas, those bird crazy stamps make me smile every time I see them!

Libby said...

This birdie's facial expression says it all...and I am quite sure that I have made similar faces during my creative processes. This is a cute and memorable canvas, and giving the bird a bow in her hair added just the right touch.

corinne de france MARCH said...

j'aime ces oiseaux , et j'aimerai aussi voir votre réalisation de prêt pour regarder tout les détails;-)
corinne de france

Unknown said...

Super cute and such great colouring.

Maria Lillepruun said...

Very cute :) And yes, you are totally right, it takes courage!

Vintagehandmade said...

What a fun and cute canvas! I adore that crazy bird and your vibrant colours! Fabulous background! Just stunning!
Branka xxx

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

wonderful canvas, you just can't beat those crazy birds!
hugs
Donna xx

Scrumplescrunch said...

Fun and crazy creation, the bird is so quirky it is adorable.
Smiles:)
Sue

Unknown said...

I love your canvas! The bird is adorable:)

Shylaashree said...

Vibrant colours and the Canvas is more adorable with that little cute birdie
Adhiraacreations

Adhiraa@Facebook

pearshapedcrafting said...

Tim's birds always make me smile but yours with it's little bow makes for a real cutie! Fabulous colours! Chrisx

SweetScraps said...

Love your sweet sweet bird with the bow! Perfect sentiment for us scrappers too.

ionabunny said...

Love the bright cute bird and the pink seed beads are a lovely idea. Gorgeous canvas. Hugz

Suman Pandit said...

Love this bright and bold bird and the pink beads !!

crafty creations said...

Wow Lynn what a fabulous colourful piece - I've just treat myself to that stamp xx Hilda

Yolanda said...

This is just too cute for words!!

Unknown said...

This is so cute and fun! I adore that little bird and the whole scene is very creative indeed.

SewPaperPaint said...

I am seeing these birds everywhere, yours is so fun! Great colors and contrast!

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

That is a cute canvas.

Ann Chuang Crafts said...

So cute and fun!!

BLOG CREDITS